Friday, February 12, 2010

Moving Along

Just to the point where I have done my increases and just getting to the tube.  Doing two at once is challenging but manageable.  The beginning was horrific. the small number of stitches, getting it onto 2 needles.  So far my socks (as you'll see below) look like latvian mittens.  So far not a real fan of these.  if they suck and are ugly I will felt them and wear them out but will NOT make a pair in my nifty hand dyed yarns.  I think I would have to start with like 10 stitches on each needle to make the toe look OK.

A note on hand dyeing.  Wools like acid dyes.  Basically an acidic environment and simple colors (usually FDC colors work great, hence kool-aid dyes) and the color automagically adheres to the wool when heated.  So while there are plenty of companies that offer a huge range of acid dyes there are readily available form of DYES you might not have thought of.  PASTE FOOD COLORINGS used by bakeries and available in a pretty wide selection of colors.  Wilton industries are the most widely available.  However if you have a pastry/candy supply shop near by they may have even more brands and colors.  Paste colors are ULTRA concentrated and some experimentation is necessary, but I have had good results....  pics tures of the hand dyed soon!!!  Still Thinking "Telquila Sunrise for my color way.  Deep yellow orange, Light lemony yellow and a pale pale yellow with red spots....(Wilton Colors Orange with some terra cotta, lemon yellow, daffodil yellow and christmas red)

No comments:

Post a Comment