Monday, August 28, 2017

SCARF - Hand Painting the warp

Greetings.  In the past I have hand dyed yarn and fiber.  I have never hand dyed really long pieces of yarn as most skeins are made up to be about 2 yards folded in half so about 18".  My warps are 3 yds long or 9 feet.  I realized I did not have enough table to dye these in a straight line.  I got creative.

Soaked the warp bundles in the soda ash solution for about 25 minutes.  15 is usually enough, but I had to mix up the dye and it took about 20 minutes.  I picked 5 shades of my colors and then wanted to "splash" some of the violet red in areas.  I did not.  I mixed the violet red dye but did not use it since the colors seem oh so saturated.  This will be a bright scarf if nothing else!

Mixed the dyes.  In most cases used a bit less dye than I should of hoping for "moderate tones".  After all is said and done there are 5 tones but it looks like three colors.
Dyes all mixed ready to go

Zig zag method to save space

Applying the Terracotta color last

All wrapped up to process for 18 hours


No comments:

Post a Comment