Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Scarf - Holy LOUD Orange

While I wait for my next colors to arrive I thought I would move the project along.  Looking at my color swatch from the last post.  I decided to use the SOFT ORANGE for my weft.  The sample looks nice, a little understated and I planned to use less dye than I should to dye the weft for a slightly lighter color.

Let's just say that dye strikes amazing well on tencel.  I may be buying more of this yarn I Love the feel of it and the drape of the yarn.  So excited to get this woven so I can see how it turns out!

I had previously measured out 400 yds. of the bamboo weft and tied it in a nice easy skein for dying.
400 Yds. 16/2 Bamboo rayon
I prepared my soda ash solution.  This was a bit of a chance.  Regular rayon does not play well with soda ash.  It weakens the fibers and can tear when wet.  I did not see bamboo mentioned in the list so figured we were good to go.  I soaked the skein in the solution for 18 minutes and then wrung it out pretty good.

In the meantime I prepared 1 cup of dye.  The concentration calls for 2.5 tsp of dye but figured I wanted a lighter tone to the color.  I used 1.5 tsp of dye powder.  I pasted it up with the urea solution (water and urea) and then mixed the dye.

I soaked it for 8 hours in the dye bath.  I then drained the dye.  Rinsed it until the water ran mostly clear and then hung it to dry completely.  Next day I hand washed it in the sink with a bit of industrial detergent and a bit of Downy softner.  I hung it to dry again.
Bobbin winder in the cordless drill!
I used the umbrella swift to hold the skein and my ball winder to turn the skein into a center pull ball.  Using that and the winder attached to the drill allowed me to wind almost 4 full bobbins to weave with.  I think it too much weft.  However, I think I will need more than my project planner says because i think this is going to pack a bit tighter than the original yarn specified for this project (see the yarn debacle here).  I want to be prepared!
As you can see in the photos the color is much more intense than I suspected!  Its a gorgeous color and I love it but it might be competitive in my scarf.  I am going to have to include either the ORANGE CRUSH or the DEEP ORANGE as one of my colors to balance this baby out!
Soft Orange is a bit LOUDER than I thought


Next up:  It's all about the warp bout the warp bout the warp...

No comments:

Post a Comment