Thursday, August 24, 2017

Scarf - Warp speed ahead!

At this point in the project I am kinda of in a holding pattern.  I am waiting on additional dyes to maybe include in my warp painting.  I have wound off 4 sets of the warp at this time.  I have both a warping board and a warping mill.  I find the mill quicker but sometimes harder to remove the warp from it.  The board is great but its large and bulky.
33 Ends of 8/2 Tencel one of 8 warp groups
The picture shows the first group that has 33 ends or threads in the bunch.  The second group had 32 ends and the next 6 will have 31 for a total of 251 warp ends.  Before they get put through the loom I have to hand paint them with dyes.

The idea is to paint the threads with compatible colors but in a NON-SYMMETRICAL set of colors.  Once the warp groups are dyed the idea is to flip every other one end over end so different colors are at each end in bands.  In the diagram below I show what a single warp group might look like dyed.  Then if we had the 8 groups side by side.  Finally I have flipped every other group.  This is what we are aiming for to create the unique color patterns in the scarf.
Our next post will detail the actual dyeing of the warp threads!  Lots of pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment