Monday, September 11, 2017

SCARF - About time! We're weaving! :(

Greetings friends. I finished the prep for weaving since I know you are all dying to see how this thing weaves!  I realized (duh) that it takes two warp bundles to get through the threading 1 complete repeat.  It stand to reason.  There are on average 31 ends in each bunch and one repeat uses 62 ends!
Full warp beamed and tensioned

SCARLET weft all ready to go!

Nice clean shed, the tray thread in the middle is the floating selvedge



The next step was to BEAM THE WARP.  I threaded the ends and then tied them in groups to the back apron bar.  Then with a little bit of help, I slowly wound the warp onto the back beam.  Hopefully preserving even tension!  Once I got to near the end I tied the warp bundles to the front apron beam.  This takes several passes (at least two) to be sure the tension is even.  TENSION IS EVERYTHING.  It completely affects how the piece will weave;  how bad the draw in is, how nice the selvedge stays and other factors.  Too much tension and your warp can snap or fray or twist your loom!

1/2' woven
I use a heavy craft paper to wind with the warp to keep it separated while weaving.  Reduces snags and tension problems.  Once I was this was completed and I was happy with the tension I began weaving.  In the meantime I re-wound the bobbins with the scarlet warp and started weaving.  I used a larger cotton warp for a few passes to spread the warp into its weaving width from the knots we tied onto the apron.  Since they suggest leaving 9" for fringe I opened a tabby shed and inserted a piece of paper 9" long by the width of the scarf.  This preserves the length needed for the fringes.

I then began weaving with the scarlet warp.
Not what I expected but will keep on weaving....the warp is diappearing instead of showing?

No comments:

Post a Comment